Three Ways Objections Will Lose Your Sale – Meet Objections Candidly to Save Your Sales
by Mj Callaway, CSP
Objections can be considered the smoldering cigarette tossed into a forest ready to burst into flames without warning. In a recent training session, one of my workshop attendees asked “How can I overcome the objection of someone being loyal to a current provider.”
Most salespeople and business owners ignore objections. Clients say they hope by ignoring them they won’t be mentioned. I remember the first time I was hit with an objection. I was selling donuts in high school. I didn’t know it was considered an objection then.
Objections hit an emotional trigger for salespeople, which causes them to take the objection as a rejection. It becomes personal. As an adult, you take it personally, imagine as a teenager. When you take it personally, you step into your perspective and away from your buyer’s viewpoint.
Then, one of three actions happen: oversell, defend, or freeze.
- Oversell: Try way too hard to sell. Tell the buyer they’re getting more than he needs when he hasn’t asked for it or require it.
- Defend: Get defensive about your product/service. Over-promised or over-exaggerated why you or your company is the best thing since the Apple iPhone.
- Freeze: Stuck in place and unsure what to say. Sometimes salespeople will sputter a few words to overcome it or brush it aside. Or you might not say anything and let the sales conversation and buyer fade away.
Rather than leaving objections linger in silence over your conversation, take the initiative. Be the one to open the conversation to a common objection you hear.
Here’s a simple solution to rock more sales.
* Simply acknowledge reoccurring or common objections first. Then, ask “How is that a concern of yours?”
* Be careful to ask it with a “how” rather than “Is this a concern of yours?” Read more about targeted questions, which give bigger results. http://bit.ly/2eckxyF
You’re candidly talking about those objections. You’ll stay in your buyer’s viewpoint. By asking an open-ended, targeted question, you hear your buyer’s concerns about that specific objection and you’ve opened the conversation to rock more sales!
Need help telling less and selling more, contact Mj Callaway so you can Rock More Sales. Mj Callaway works with private companies, family businesses and sales teams who want to increase their sales by 50 percent. Her vision is to be the catalyst to give business owners and salespeople the tools they need to never be broke and to always provide them with the means to make a good living. Get your FREE copy of Inside the Mind of Your Reluctant Buyer at www.MjCallaway.com.
Mj’s clients include many industries from building and construction to manufacturing to travel management. As an author of three best-selling books, Mj is one call away from speaking at your next conference, meeting, or customizing a sales training workshop for your sales teams and non-sales staff. Contact Mj today at 724.396.4162 or info@MjCallaway.com.
To learn more about Mj, visit her at www.MjCallaway.com.